Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cold Weather Knitting

Cold weather seems to encourage me to knit or to crochet, so I have been somewhat busy doing that. I just finished a scarf to give to my Hubby's friend. Hubby kept hinting, well, hinting is mild, he kept TELLING me how much he wanted it, even though he has 2 that I have already made for him. His rationale, "Well, those are DARK colors, I really like this LIGHT one." I couldn't argue since it was so accurate, so I am half way through an identical one. They will have matching scarves. Okay, together now, say "Awwwwwww". Not that you can see it very well, but I crocheted and felted the bag that my in progress projects are in. It's quite durable and can handle having my knitting needles stabbed into them. Although, in hindsight, bigger would have been better.

This really turned out well, not that you can tell the dimensions, but it is more than 5 feet long not including the fringe and if you stretch it out a bit (since it scrunches due to the ribbing) in terms of width roughly 7 and a half inches. I used 2 skeins Lions Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in the color "wheat". If interested, here are the instructions:
  1. Cast on 21 stitches on size 11 needles (Finished product will differ in size depending on how "loose" or "tight" you knit, adjust needle size to whatever you want your gauge to be).
  2. Knit 3; Purl 3 all the way to the end of 2 skeins. BUT don't forget to reserve some yarn to make fringe. I cut off 42 pieces for the ends before I started my second skein so I wouldn't forget.
  3. Enjoy the warmth. It's a pretty heavy scarf and it went really quick, about a week since it was such a thick yarn. It will easily wrap around neck twice, yet, if left dangling, goes past your waist, at least it did with me (Shorty alert).

As of now, going to finish off hubby's scarf, and working on a knit bandanna for girl. She keeps insisting on wearing a blue one that was from October's pirate costume, and the lack of girlyness is starting to bug me. It's in cotton, a lot tinier yarn than I am used to, and I plan to embellish it with crocheted flowers. Will it entice her? Who knows, but worth a shot, and if she won't wear it, maybe Mommy will..... inside the house of course.



No comments: