Friday, June 27, 2008

Totally Random East meets West

I took this picture for fun a couple of weeks ago and totally forgot about it. As I mentioned before, it's that time of the year where local fruits are in season. We got a bunch of strawberries (on the left durrrr), which is grown locally. A couple of days ago, we hit our local Asian type grocery store for, for, uhm, I forgot what for, BUT I saw some fresh lychees. Most people probably have tried them at Chinese and Japanese restaurants, but those are canned and soaked in syrup. Fresh, they have a rough, somewhat hard yet thin skin, which is easy to peel. The edible part of the fruit itself is white, and it has one pit, like a peach. It's very sweet and has a slippery texture and is a tiny bit firmer than the flesh of say, an apricot (who knew this would be difficult to describe). One interesting side note, if I eat a lot of these on a fairly empty stomach, I start to have the aftertaste of alcohol. I think my sense of smell and taste are a tiny bit above normal.

The ONLY early memory I have of this fruit from back in the Philippines is when I was 15. My dad bought a huge bag from the street market, maybe 3 lbs or so. This is my Grandpa's favorite fruit. Of course, my Grandma told him not to eat too many, he would get a stomach ache. He just kept right on eating and eating and finished almost all of it. He then... of course.... got a stomach ache. Grandma had no sympathy.

No comments: